I was born in Oslo, Norway. Right now I live in Oslo and I go to Sandvika High school. This week has been phenomenal. I have met many people since I started and everyone is very accepting. The subjects that I have are English, Math, Spanish, Science, Geology, Social Studies and Norwegian. all of these subjects are very interesting and a lot of fun although it is quite tough at times. Very soon I am going on a school trip where I will get to know my classmates even better. Even tho I do not know them, I feel like it will get a lot better. My journey has barely begun.
The title “Facts vs Fear” is an eleven-minute long video where Stephen Fry explains what Brexit means and separates the facts from fear.
Brexit is Britan exiting the EU. The citizens of Great Britain felt excluded and that immigration was a big problem. David Cameron, who was the prime minister at the time, called for a referendum to settle the debate which ended in a 51.9% to 48.1% defeat. Two years later and we are still here.
- The first thing you need to know about the wall was who that came up with the idea of it in the first place. Donald Trump is the 45th and current president of the united states of America. He believes that the reason for the high criminal activities is because of illegal immigrants. He says that it’s mostly Mexicans that are paedophiles, drug dealers, murderers and thieves and that Mexico is going to pay for the wall.
- He believes that the wall will solve all of the U.S’s problems. He has inforced a separation policy that separates children from their parents when they immigrate to the U.S
- Recently President Trump has partially shut down the U.S government because they will not fund his wall. he says he will not lift the shutdown before they pay at least 5,7 billion dollars. This is not the first time there has been a shutdown, but it has been the longest shut down in history stretching to twenty-six day as I am writing this.
- There are similarities between Brexit and The Mexican Border. Both won their own elections in 2013 with David Cameron winning the election and Trump winning the election. Brexit loves seeing themselves as fighting for independents. The main similarity for them both is immigration. The immigrants taking the unskilful jobs leaving citizens without jobs for multiple years. This gives President Trump support and is the reason for the unexpected win for David Cameron. At this moment President Trump wants his wall and has temporarily shut down the government. Brexit with Teresa May wanting to leave the EU early. Both countries want to isolate themselves from other countries and both fearing their common enemy. Immigration.
- There are over 800,000 U.S federal workers are affected by this shutdown specifically corrections officers, firefighters, engineers and budget analysts who work in the Bureau of Indian Affairs and other tribal agencies.
- The phrase “The Buck Stops With Me” means that he takes responsibility.
In class, we have been given an assignment of writing what it means to be a good citizen. We are supposed to choose two pictures and write what it signifies. The first picture I have chosen is this.
To me, a good citizen has to be able to stand up for what they believe even though if it means they are at a risk of losing their jobs. Lately, football players have been taking a knee during the national anthem in protest to police brutality. The first football player to do this was Colin Kaepernick. Many players followed him even though the fans said it was unpatriotic and that politics should stay out of football. The Players do this as a form of protest to Donald Trump and police brutality.
The other picture I chose is a picture of Leonardo DiCaprio.
To be a good citizen is to contribute to society. Leonardo DiCaprio made a documentary about climate change called “Before the Flood”. He showed what was actually going on and witnessed it first hand. The world doesn’t care about climate change or Leonardo DiCaprio and sees him as an actor, not an environmentalist. He is an actor that is putting his fame to good use and is getting more people involved. In my eyes, he is an outstanding citizen.
Dear Leonardo DiCaprio
My name is Thomas Winterbourne. I am 16 years old and I live in Norway. I have just seen your documentary “before the flood” and I am astonished. I have heard about climate change, but now I see how severe it has become. Thank you for showing me how bad it has become and wish you good luck in convincing the rest of the world.
My question for you is if you are still pessimistic about our Earths future or are you positive that you can make a difference.
Four undocumented Latino kids from the poor neighbourhoods of Phoenix entered the national underwater robotics competition with a remote operated vehicle (“ROV”) made from off-the-shelf components, including PVC pipe for the frame, and beat the best colleges in the nation, including MIT.
There are a few things in the movie that didn’t happen in reality. For starters, there were two teachers called Allen Cameron and Fredi Lajvardi that were cast as one person called Fredi Cameron. Another thing was that there is no evidence of the fights and that Louis and Lorenzo had to protect Cristian from bullies at the school. These were added for dramatic effect. Another thing I found surprising was that Lorenzo really did ask the teachers if they could go to Hooters if they won. When the announcement was made that Carl Hayden High School had won the competition, the first thing that one of the teachers said to Lorenzo was that he should not mention Hooters when they got up on the stage.
The ROV that the main characters made was influenced by the materials that they used. We can see that in the movie multiple times when they meet new problems to overcome while using different unique solutions. The ROV was made from off-the-shelf components, including PVC pipe for the frame and a budget of under 800$. Whilst MIT who had a much bigger budget of 18 000$.
Robots can be extremely useful in the modern day society that we live in today. Most robots today are used to do repetitive actions or jobs considered too dangerous for humans. A robot is ideal for going into a building that has a possible bomb. Robots are also used in factories to build things like cars, candy bars, and electronics. Nowadays we see jobs being taken over by robots making it extremely difficult to get jobs.
The Book “About a Boy” is set in London 1993 featuring the two protagonists Will Freeman and Marcus Brewer. Marcus is an odd kid with a few problems given to him by Fiona, his suicidal mother. Will is a 36-year-old man who has discovered a new technique of dating women. Will joins a group called SPAT where he meets single mothers. There he meets Susan, who is Fiona’s best friend. One day Susan brings Marcus to a picnic with the other SPAT members where Will meets Marcus. From there they develop a unique friendship thru the suicidal attempt of Fiona. The themes in this novel are isolation, adulthood and mental illness/depression.
“Hey, Fiona. Why don’t you get your sheet music out, and we can murder’Both Sides Now’?” “Would you like to?” “Yeah. Sure.” But he was watching Marcus, whose expression was that of a boy who had been asked to dance naked before a mixed audience of supermodels and cousins.”Please, Mum. Don’t.”Don’t be silly. You love singing. You love Joni Mitchell”. “I don’t. Not anymore. I bloody hate Joni Mitchell”. Will knew then, beyond any shadow of doubt, that Marcus would be OK.
This paragraph shows the character development of Will and Marcus. Marcus who always would sing and be bullied for it at school and doesn’t want to while Will does this to check that he would be ok. We can see that Will is concerned and that is why he had to check.
“That was his mother. When she wasn’t crying over the breakfast cereal, she was laughing about killing herself.”
This is a good example of one of the themes: Mental illness/Depression.
“What’s that floating next to it?” Will asked. “Is that the bread you threw at it?”
Marcus nodded unhappily.
“That’s not a sandwich, that’s a bloody french loaf. No wonder it keeled over. That would’ve killed me.”
This is a very interesting quote as it sets up the suicidal attempt of Fiona but also foreshadows it in a way.
“His mum was sad, he knew that she cried a lot now, more than she did before they moved to London, …”
This quote explains what has happened so far and that they live in London and the father lives in Cambridge.
The Pomodoro technique is a special technique used when studying or trying to learn something. This technique requires that you focus for twenty-five minutes straight without any distractions. This allows your brain to gather information about what you are doing and accesses a different part of your brain which solves the problem while your attention is directed somewhere else. For an example, if I were to try and solve a math equation and I’m not able to do it. I can simply take a 5-minute break and while my attention is focused on something else, a different part of my brain is working on that specific equation that I could not manage just a moment ago. I find this technique very effective and I use it a lot. I am that type of person that can’t focus for long periods of time so this technique is perfect for me.